Thursday, October 7, 2010

Linguine with Roasted Butternut Squash Sauce


I admit it.  I grocery shop without a list.  If any of you have been under the false assumption that I am supremely organized and have it all together, I have news for you.  I'm not and I don't.  I've survived this long in life simply because I have a decent memory, and after two children, I have to say, that too seems to be going.  What was I talking about again?  Oh right, my memory, yeah.  Anyway, I don't totally meander about the store.  I have a mental list, or shall we call it a feeling for what I need?  But, rarely do I enter the store with anything written down.  That would involve taking the time to scribble it and then remembering to bring it and then remembering to look at it.  Who has the time?  It probably won't shock you to hear that I often end up missing one or two ingredients for a recipe.  I've been wanting to make this pasta dish for a long time now, but not surprisingly, I always seemed to be one or two ingredients shy and didn't want to sell it short by making substitutions.  I'm so glad I didn't.  You've got to try this.  It was amazing, and definitely unforgettable!        

Recipe by Marina (see her blog: http://www.yummymummykitchen.com/)
Serves 4


1 medium sized butternut squash
1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
1/2 a medium onion, sliced
pinch of sugar
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
8 sage leaves, torn
extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 lb linguine, rigatoni or other favorite pasta, cooked al dente


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Slice squash lengthwise and brush with olive oil. Drizzle the garlic halves with olive oil and wrap loosely in foil. Place squash and garlic on a baking sheet and roast until tender, about 45 minutes for the squash and 30 minutes for the garlic. Cool enough to remove skin.  Save half of the squash and garlic for a later use.   
 While squash and garlic are roasting, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and a pinch of sugar, and cook until caramelized, about 10 minutes.


In a food processor, pulse the peeled squash, peeled roasted garlic, Parmesan cheese and caramelized onions until smooth.


In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the sage and simmer until fragrant and butter just begins to brown. Stir into the squash mixture. Thin with pasta water and/or milk until desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Stir in cooked pasta and top with more Parmesan cheese.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails