Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Mandarin Orange Chicken Stir Fry


I was given a wok as a college graduation gift.  I wrote my thank you note, swearing to use it often and promising creative stir fries if said person ever came to visit.  Three years later, that wok sat collecting dust in my cupboard until finally, I sold it at a garage sale before packing up my life and moving to Ireland.  I felt bad getting rid of such a nice gift, but I wasn't going to move it half way around the world or pay for a storage unit to store it.  I made a mental note that once I returned home I'd buy another wok and promised myself I'd use it. Well, before getting around to buying one, another wok made its way into my life one Christmas.  I sometimes wonder what vibes I give off to elicit such gifts.  Either that or kitchen essentials are just obvious gifts for those who have recently moved into a new apartment.  Regardless, a wok was clearly supposed to be a part of my life and I decided that I better start using it. This is a stir fry that I tried to re-create based on something my Mom used to make when we were kids. She used some type of bottled stir fry sauce, but I think this home made version is a lot better (no offense Mom!).  Best of all, like any good stir fry, it is so easy to make and makes a quick, healthy, tasty weeknight meal.  Oh, and if you don't have a wok, you can use a frying pan.  It works just as well...          

Serves 2-3
For the sauce:
1/3 Cup soy sauce (use La Choy if you need gluten free)
1/3 Cup juice from canned mandarin oranges
1 teaspoon pureed ginger
1 teaspoon pureed garlic
1 heaping Tablespoon honey


For the stir fry:
2 chicken breasts, sliced
1/2 an onion, sliced
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1 1/2 Cups sugar snap peas
1 can mandarin oranges, drained (reserve juice for sauce)
1/4 Cup chopped almonds or halved cashews


Heat sesame oil in a large frying pan, add onions and chicken and saute until chicken is cooked through.  Meanwhile, combine ingredients for the sauce and heat in a small sauce pan just until it boils.  When chicken is cooked through, add snap peas and saute another 3-5 minutes.  Add mandarin oranges, nuts and sauce and stir until coated.  Serve immediately over white or brown rice. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails