Friday, January 22, 2010

Chocolate Chocolate Bundt Cake



I’ve been having discussions recently about what the definition of “homemade” really is. If you make something from a mix, is it homemade? You did have to add ingredients, (even if it was just water), stir it, pour it in a pan, and put it in the oven for a specified length of time. There is some art to not over baking your brownies or burning the bottoms of your cookies, isn’t there? I took this cake to my monthly book club meeting the other night and got rave reviews from everyone there. A friend asked if I made it. I thought for a minute, a little puzzled as to what my response should be. There was a box of cake mix and a box of instant pudding involved after all. But, I didn’t follow the directions on either box. And, I added unlisted ingredients too. Does this mean I made it? Is it cheating to say I did? I guess you can decide. Regardless of the answer, I think you will find this cake too delicious to pass up, even if you are the “all from scratch” type of cook. I’ve made enough cakes in my life to know that if something is this easy, and this good, you can’t mess with it and try to make it any other way. This is my Mom’s recipe, although I’m sure she got it from somewhere, as she isn’t the type to make things up. I hope you enjoy it, and if anyone asks, you can tell them YES, you made it!


1 box devil's food cake mix
1 4.5 oz. box instant chocolate pudding
2 eggs
1 3/4 Cup milk
1 12 oz. bag of semi sweet chocolate chips
 
Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour bundt pan.  Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes.  Pour batter into greased and floured pan.  Bake for 50-55 minutes.  Cool 15 minutes in the pan, then turn over onto a cooling rack.  When completely cool, dust with powdered sugar

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I CANNOT believe this cake started out as a mix! It was SOOOOOO good. I'm making this tomorrow. Thanks for sharing the recipe. And yes, I'm telling everyone it's homemade :)

Unknown said...

P.S.
Did you add any almond extract? I thought I tasted a hint of almond, but maybe that was just my pregnant hormones playing tricks on my tastebuds...

Suzanne said...

Hi Marina,

So glad you liked it! I didn't add any almond extract, but that would probably be great. My mom sometimes adds a little ammereto which also gives it a nice flavor.

Suzanne

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails