Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Stuffed Tomatoes

Okay, I just realized this is my second post in a row that starts with "stuffed."  It must be some metaphor for how I am feeling right now, 38 weeks pregnant and "stuffed."  Perhaps it is theapeutic to take out my uncomfortableness on vegetables.  The more I stuff into them, the less I focus on how stuffed this baby is into me!  You better hope this baby comes soon, otherwise watch out, I'll be stuffing broccoli stems! 


My two year old actually helped me create this recipe.  I was telling her that I was thinking about what to make for dinner and she said she wanted to help me chop tomatoes.  The thought entered my mind, let's have stuffed tomatoes for dinner.  I asked her what we should put in them and she suggested rice and cheese.  And thus, the recipe was born.  I didn't measure anything while I was making it, so this is my best guess.  Basically you just need to make enough of the stuffing for the number of tomatoes you want to cook.  I made four and that fed the two of us just fine (me and my husband (not my toddler - she just enjoys helping make them, not eating them)). 


4-6 Roma or Beefstake tomatoes, tops sliced off and internal contents removed
1 Cup brown rice
1/4 Cup bread crumbs
1/4 Cup chopped bell peppers (I used yellow since that is all I had)
1/4 Cup black beans
1/4 Cup roasted corn
3 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1/4 Cup tomato pieces (salvaged from what you scooped out)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon rosemary
salt and pepper to taste


De-seed and remove centers of tomatoes and set aside.  Mix all remaining ingredients.  Spoon into tomatoes and replace tops.  Place in a well oiled baking dish, drizzle a little olive oil on the top and sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese.  Place in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 40-50 minutes, or until tomatoes seem soft.  I served them on top of some grilled sourdough bread that I brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with garlic powder, and toasted on the BBQ for a couple of minutes.   

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails