Thursday, October 22, 2009

Veggie Tofu Tacos



I know what you are thinking...tofu tacos?   No thanks.  I'll just find a blog with a good recipe instead.  It's okay.  I take no offense.  I was once a member of the just say no to tofu club too.  In all fairness, I had never had it, but I had already put it on my no-try list, along with other bland, slimy, meat substitutes.  I obviously did try it, eventually, and was sad to have missed out for so long.  I mentioned this to a friend once and he replied, "Really?  I thought tofu was one of those things like cottage cheese.  No one actually likes it." 

I got home tonight and had limited time to throw dinner together.  I started making this with no intention of posting the recipe.  It was the first time I had tried making tofu tacos, and, honestly, I wasn't expecting much, and certainly didn't expect it to be blog worthy.  But, after Andrew scarfed down his tacos and I had just one left, we looked at each other and said, "This was really good.  Better get a picture."  So, for the skeptics out there, just give it a try.  After all, my meat loving husband loved it.  If I really haven't persuaded you, the good news is that it's just as good with chicken.  Vegetarians - you can pretend I didn't say that.        

Serves 2 (but easily doubled)

1/2 block of tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 Cup carrots, sliced
1/2 Cup broccoli, chopped
1/2 Cup zucchini, sliced
1 medium tomato, diced
lettuce
6 corn tortillas
butter
seasoned pepper
cumin
cayenne pepper
garlic powder
sea salt
1 Tablespoon juice from a jar of pickled peperoncinis
1/2 Cup cheddar cheese, grated
taco sauce, salsa, diced onion, sour cream (optional)

Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat until it starts to brown.  Add the tofu and saute until browned.  While it is cooking, sprinkle it with seasoned pepper, ground sea salt, a dusting of cayenne pepper and garlic powder, to taste.  Add a tablespoon of juice from a jar of peperoncinis.  Let the juice evaporate as you continue to brown the tofu.  When tofu is browned (about 10 minutes), remove and set aside.  Put vegetables in the pan with a little more butter and saute 5-10 minutes or until they reach desired softness.  Sprinkle with a little seasoned pepper and 1/2 tablespoon peperoncini juice while they cook.  Once vegetables are cooked, return tofu to the pan and saute 1-2 more minutes.  Meanwhile, heat up the tortillas on the stove or in the microwave.  Place two tortillas on a plate, add some filling, a little letuce, some cheese, and some chopped tomatoes.  Serve with taco sauce or salsa, onions, and sour cream, if desired.     

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails